Only private schools require letters of recommendation or information from your counselor. You do NOT need them for UC/CSU
All students who apply to private schools through commonapp.org must invite two (or more) teachers and your counselor. Use this information when inviting your high school counselor:
Head Counselor, JLHS
When requesting letters of recommendation from your teachers and/or counselors, please follow these steps:
- Speak to each teacher first and get his/her email address and full name. Be polite! Say 'thank you' to the teachers who write you a letter.
- Send your teacher an email that includes:
Subject: recommendation for your name
Sample Email: Hello Mr./Mrs/Ms. teacher/counselor name,
I would like to ask for a letter of recommendation for the following private colleges through the Common Application: list the colleges you are applying to.
If it is alright with you, in the next few days, you will be getting an invitation from the common application to upload a recommendation letter. To help you with the process, I have attached some information about myself. Thank you for your time and help.
Respectfully, your name
- Answer the following in a word document and attach to the email .You may choose to attach your personal statement as well.
- Your Name
- GPA/rank/SAT Critical Reading Score/SAT Math Score/ACT scores
- Academic Strengths (at least 3)
- Information regarding family background (i.e. first-generation college student, family immigrated to US, translate for parents, AB540, singl parent home, etc.)
- Extracurriculars/sports/church activities/GEAR-UP/COSMOS/etc.
- courses taken
- Additional information that would promote a job, college, or scholarship application (i.e. working while in high school, awards/talents/family responsibilities, etc)
- If you're not attaching a personal statement, write a paragraph that illustrates how you have dealt with adversity in your life
- DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO REQUEST A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION! Give your teachers at least one month to write it!
- DO NOT BE AFRAID TO BRAG ABOUT YOURSELF. Provide your teacher with enough information about yourself so they can write a well-written and positive letter of recommendation for you.
[last name][first initial]@esuhsd.org
example: Glenn VanderZee: email@example.com